College Readiness Symposium
CMC Mission: Clackamas Middle College provides an inclusive, innovative, and challenging personalized education that cultivates and prepares independent learners for college and careers
WHAT IS COLLEGE READINESS SYMPOSIUM?
Aligned with CMC’s mission, the purpose of CRS is to develop independent learners through a positive school climate and prepare students for success in their post-secondary path.
College Readiness Symposiums are designed to:
- Set a welcoming school context, focusing on inclusiveness and acceptance of all students and families.
- Provide opportunities for students to form positive relationships with teachers, staff and peers in support of a positive school culture.
- Helping students to clarify, understand, and communicate their purpose—their WHY—as students at CMC and as future college students.
- Enhance student achievement and affirm identity by helping students evaluate and reflect on their own skills, interests, and accomplishments and then make plans to improve.
- Include the entire CMC Community, including parents and students in Pathways to College and CEO programs, in the school-wide events at CMC.
- Increase engagement of community and business partners in college and career readiness events and learning opportunities.
- Present opportunities for students to learn from local business partners and community members about a wide array of careers and how to link career aspirations with educational goals.
- Offer time for students to visit with local college and university representatives to learn more about college, such as admission requirements, degrees offered, financial aid, housing and more.
- Promote student health and wellness through various workshops designed to educate, motivate and empower students to adopt healthy behaviors and lifestyles.
- Provide opportunities for students to participate in community service projects in the local community. Community service or volunteerism enables students to acquire life skills and knowledge, as well as provide a service to those who need it most.
HOW SYMPOSIUM DAYS WORK
College Readiness Symposium is a full school day where the regular class schedule is placed on hold so that we can come together as a school community. Students meet with their CRS in the morning for regular CRS activities as well as 1:1 conferences with their advisors to review academic and personal goals. The rest of the day offers hands-on activities around each symposium’s theme. Examples of activities:
- career fairs
- college fairs
- service projects
- guest speakers
- creative projects
- physical activity (yoga,soccer, basketball)
Parent and community volunteers are integral to symposiums as they serve as guest speakers, panel members and lead activities such as meditation or stress management. Visit the Volunteer page on the CMC website for more information.
We see College Readiness Symposium as a vital part of helping CMC students to develop into independent learners and become ready for college and careers. Note: Attendance is mandatory for each monthly College Readiness Symposium in order to be eligible for CMC’s Pathway to College Program.
COLLEGE READINESS SYMPOSIUM FRAMEWORK
Each monthly symposium has a theme. This year’s themes:
- Know Your Why
- Health & Wellness
- College Day
- Career Day
- Service to Community
- We are CMC