Clackamas Middle College Community,
On Wednesday, October 13, 2021, Clackamas Middle College (CMC), North Clackamas School District, and Portland Workforce Alliance will be offering a College and Career Awareness Day for students. We want to ensure that our students are focused on college and careers, and this day will help set the tone for the remainder of the school year. Students in grades 9, 10, and 12, will not have to report to school as all sessions will be virtual and can be accessed asynchronously (not in-person). Juniors that are interested in taking the PSAT will be invited to come to CMC from 9:00am-1:00pm on this day.
Students in grades 9, 10, and 12 will have the opportunity to attend asynchronous (not in-person) virtual sessions with important information connected to college and careers. The virtual sessions will run hourly and begin at 8:30am and proceed until 3:30pm with a lunch from 1:00pm-1:30pm. The sessions will include colleges (Pacific, OIT, U of O, and the military to name a few), navigating financial aid, career talks with businesses in the Portland Metro Area, and scholarship information. It is expected that all CMC students in grades 9, 10, and 12 attend these virtual sessions remotely.
For interested juniors (11th grade), CMC will be administering the Preliminary SAT (PSAT) at CMC from 9:00am-1:00pm on this day. The test fees will be covered by Clackamas Middle College, and we will provide breakfast snacks and beverages (juices, water etc.) for juniors participating in this event. The PSAT test will provide students, teachers and parents with information about students’ readiness for college or advanced coursework, possible career options, and major fields of study to consider.
The PSAT measures the skills students have developed over the course of their education and provides several benefits to students. The PSAT can:
- Predict the success of students on college entrance exams
- Identify students with high potential to excel in advanced placement (AP) or other honors courses
- Provide each student taking the assessment a career assessment and online exploration of colleges and career opportunities
- Compare scores with national averages
To accommodate these testing opportunities, Wednesday, October 13th will be a special day at CMC.
- All freshman, sophomores, and seniors will have asynchronous activities via virtual sessions on this day, and do not need to attend school on October 13th for testing. Virtual links will be shared with students, the morning of October 13th.
- Juniors are encouraged to attend school on October 13th for testing. *(Buses will be on a regular schedule in the morning and pick students up at CMC at 1:00pm)
- Sophomores, juniors and seniors who are in the Pathways and CEO Programs will be expected to attend all college courses
On October 13th, normal transportation options will be provided for students, along with breakfast, snacks and beverages. Interested juniors should arrive to CMC at 9:00am. The testing will last approximately 3-4 hours. After testing, buses will pick up juniors around 1:00pm and take them to their boundary high school where they will catch their regular buses home.
This is an exciting and important day for our students as they navigate the world of college and careers. Interested juniors should contact their counselor to notify them of their participation. We would love to get maximum participation to ensure the success of each CMC student. Your help and support in making this day a success is greatly appreciated.
College and Career Awareness Day
- Pacific University - Jeff Grundon
- Oregon Institute of Technology - Dan Guthrie
- How to Navigate Financial Aid as an Undocumented/DACAmented Student - Araceli Cruz
- Clackamas Community College - Lindsay Curletto
- FAFSA/ORSAA Workshop - Jenn Satalino
- Bi/multilingual study and work abroad - Lia Poole
- Portland Workforce Alliance Career Talks:
- Option 1 (Healthcare careers: Nursing, long-term care and more.
- Option 2 (Nonprofit careers: Making a difference locally.
- Apprenticeships CCC - Britany Ellerbrook
- University of Oregon - Melea Tejedas
- College and Scholarship Essay Workshop - Kim and Luke
- Using Naviance to Apply to College (Seniors only) - Rebecca Barton
- Exploring Careers in the Military - Robert Blake
- NCSD College and Career Website Scavenger Hunt
- Exploring careers in the Military - Robert Blake
- Portland Workforce Alliance Career Talks
- Option 1 (Design-and-Build Careers in architecture, construction and engineering; get application info for the ACE Mentor Program of Oregon)
- Option 2 (Creative Careers with Wieden+Kennedy, the global advertising firm behind Nike)
- HBCU 101: Everything you didn't know about Historically Black Colleges and Universities – Ashley Natt
- Clackamas Community College (Lindsay Curletto)
- NCSD College and Career Website Scavenger Hunt
- First Generation Latinx College Readiness - Araceli Cruz
- Portland State University - Jasmine Taylor
Take care and stay safe.