August 17, 2020
Clackamas Middle College Students and Parents,
I want to thank you for your patience and flexibility as we move into the 2020-2021 school year. I know our district (North Clackamas School District) is sending out communication pertaining to the upcoming school year, and teamed with our communication, this can be rather confusing. Often, the district communication relates to their traditional school options, however, it also includes important information to read regarding COVID-19 and Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL).
For information pertaining to specifics of school at Clackamas Middle College (schedules, technology accessibility, CDL, orientations, 1st week back etc.), look for weekly emails, letters, social media postings, etc. to be sent directly from CMC on Mondays: 8/17, 8/24, 8/31.
During the next three weeks, communication will be very important as we try to build a culture of learning in the CMC Community. This community will include CMC staff, students, parents/guardians, and the local community. In order to help with this communication, please review CMC weekly updates regarding: Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL), student schedules, surveys to access technology, building community through CDL, instructional design for CDL (classes, meeting times, student groups, technology, verbal and written feedback from staff and students, and orientations for students and families).
This first piece of communication for the 2020-2021 school year pertains to our student schedule during CDL, along with a technology access survey for families to complete. This week we are are working through the final details of our CDL schedule and will have more specific information pertaining to the schedule and CDL early next week (8/24).
Here is some general information pertaining to the schedule:
- Classes will be from 8:30am-4pm
- Most students will be enrolled in a four-period schedule
- Students in our college programs will take online courses through CCC
- Student group and club time will be built into schedule
- Students will have daily contact with staff from CMC. This will include but not be limited to:
- Daily Zoom/Google Meets with classes (synchronous learning)
- Time for students to work on assignments and projects connected to classes (asynchronous learning)
- Daily academic support/guidance for student assignments and projects
- Daily office hours following each class
- Weekly College Readiness Seminar (advisory) classes
- College course offerings (online)
- Daily guidance/support through CMC Counselors and School-Based Therapist
We are committed to provide the best possible education to our students. Thank you for your feedback from spring and summer as it was the groundwork for planning a successful fall through Comprehensive Distance Learning (CDL).
The next piece of communication is for technology accessibility. We must survey families to ensure each of our students has access to reliable internet and a computing device. Please click on the following survey to help us collect this necessary information.
- Technology Access Survey Link (see letter and link under Recent News on our website)
Look for our weekly communications on Mondays, beginning today (8/17) through August 31st.
Take care, stay safe, and enjoy the rest of your summer!
Brian Sien, Ed.D.
Clackamas Middle College